Monday, June 22, 2009

giving

I've been doing a bit of systematic theology and have just finished glazing over the doctrine of the Trinity

I learnt about subordination, which states that the Son is eternally subordinate to the Father NOT in being or essence or attributes, but in role or function.

John 14:28 "You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.”

So the Father plays a 'greater' role or function than the Son. How then does He express this 'greater' role? I'm sure it involves much more, but it could include Him giving:

John 3:35 "The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands."

Matthew 11:27 "All things have been committed to me by my Father.”

The Father (through the Son) created all things- the universe, all people, creatures and authority- and GIVES them to the Son. I might go as far as to say the Father's purpose for creating all things was to commit it to the Son (Col.1). The Father, who is greater than the Son in ROLE (not essence) chooses to give ALL THINGS! What a generous Father!

Doesn't that truly reveal something of giving, and give such deeper meaning to the verse: "It is more blessed to give than to receive." (Acts 20:35)

No comments:

Post a Comment