Sunday, August 30, 2009

Leading the service

To keep a track of what I learn, I thought I'd make a few notes for next time:
  • In the intro, possibly lay 'a seed' to ponder, in regards to the topic for the sermon
  • Leading the service can require 'sign posts' in which we direct the people as to what's happening next, and possibly why. I could do a few more of those. Because, as John Forsyth would say, "the leader may as well lead" :)
  • End clearly. End the service with clear instructions as to what's next and what to ponder during the week
  • Speak a bit slower
This list may be added/revised on Thursday after meeting with one of my 'followers' who is really my leader, John... or Trent, who is yet to 'follow' (who, again, is my leader :)

Extra note- I am against exact procedures/communication 'techniques' that people think they should follow to be a good communicator (at least for a contemporary service). A line of thinking such as, 'if I use more hand gestures, it'll be much more effective', or 'If I look at my notes 10 times, that should give a good balance of 'freedom-from-notes' but also assure them I'm being guided by notes' etc etc.

Maybe these aren't great examples, but I've heard a few pieces of advice like these that try to pin-point a set of 'to-do' communication techniques. There are certainly helpful things that one should keep in mind, but some things get too much into the micro- side of things. Just lead as you feel best, and you'll learn and develop over time.

And maybe overtime, we might be able to add selected communication techniques (that one might consider helpful) to the character already developed.

1 comment:

  1. Always listen to your leaders!!! ;)
    Mate you did great - keep on at it!!

    ReplyDelete